Friday, March 16, 2012

Review: Moonstone by Marilee Brothers

Moonstone
(Unbidden Magic #1)

Author: Marilee Brothers

Publication Date: August 1st, 2008

Publisher: Bell Bridge Books

Genre: Urban Fantasy

GoodReads

Synopsis:

A sickly mom. A tiny house trailer. High school bullies and snarky drama queens. Bad-guy dudes with charming smiles. Allie has problems. And then there's that whole thing about fulfilling a magical prophecy and saving the world from evil. Geez. Welcome to the sad, funny, sometimes-scary world of fifteen-year-old Allie Emerson, who's struggling to keep her and her mom's act together in the small-town world of Peacock Flats, Washington. An electrical zap from a TV antenna sets off Allie's weird psychic powers. The next thing she knows she's being visited by a hippy-dippy guardian angel, and then her mysterious neighbor, the town "witch," gives her an incredible moonstone pendant that has powers only a good-hearted "Star Seeker" is meant to command. "Who, me?" is Allie's first reaction. But as sinister events begin to unfold, Allie realizes she's got a destiny to live up to. If she can just survive everyday life, in the meantime.


My Thoughts: I'm quite happy to be reviewing this series. When I saw on NetGalley that it was being compared to the Sookie Stackhouse series (minus the vampires, weres and other supes) I knew I had to read it. It didn't disappoint me. Yes, it started off a bit slow, but most series do, so I can live with that. The story itself was great, I started reading it yesterday and could barely put it down.

I feel really bad for Allie, not only is she trying to get through high school, which can be pretty tough, she now has this prophecy that she has to fulfil, and it is not a fun one. Allie lives with her mom in a small trailer, they're on welfare and her mom is trying to get disability checks. So her life kind of sucks. But she makes the best of it and doesn't let it get her down, too badly. She is a great character and I felt as though I had a connection with her while reading. She isn't afraid to stand up to bullies, has a bit of a "smart" mouth and tends to put the welfare of others before herself. Definitely like able and realistic.

While the beginning was slow, once the action started, it didn't really slow that much. I found myself scared for Allie at some points in the story, then at others I would be so proud of her. I laughed quite a bit while reading, and then was sad at other points. Brothers really did a good job creating this world and her characters. I'm looking forward to getting started on the next book, Moon Rise. I can only expect it to get better.

If you're a fan of Urban Fantasy, you should definitely check this book out.

2 comments:

  1. Jenn,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to read Moonstone. I really appreciate it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem at all! I'm really enjoying the series so far, just finished Moon Rise last night :)

      Delete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.