Saturday, April 28, 2012

Review: Bumped by Megan McCafferty

Bumped
(Bumped #1)

Author: Megan McCafferty

Publication Date: April 26th 2011

Publisher: Balzer + Bray

Genre: Dystopia

GoodReads

Synopsis:

When a virus makes everyone over the age of eighteen infertile, would-be parents pay teen girls to conceive and give birth to their children, making teens the most prized members of society. Girls sport fake baby bumps and the school cafeteria stocks folic-acid-infused food.

Sixteen-year-old identical twins Melody and Harmony were separated at birth and have never met until the day Harmony shows up on Melody's doorstep. Up to now, the twins have followed completely opposite paths. Melody has scored an enviable conception contract with a couple called the Jaydens. While they are searching for the perfect partner for Melody to bump with, she is fighting her attraction to her best friend, Zen, who is way too short for the job.

Harmony has spent her whole life in Goodside, a religious community, preparing to be a wife and mother. She believes her calling is to convince Melody that pregging for profit is a sin. But Harmony has secrets of her own that she is running from.

When Melody is finally matched with the world-famous, genetically flawless Jondoe, both girls' lives are changed forever. A case of mistaken identity takes them on a journey neither could have ever imagined, one that makes Melody and Harmony realize they have so much more than just DNA in common.


My Thoughts: I have read a lot of bad reviews, and good reviews, on this book. I have to say, I really enjoyed it. I read this in a day, it was just so easy to read. It's a sci fi dystopian, and is really just a big satirical. It was so funny, sometimes a little bit corny though, but easy and quick to read. Every time they said something about "bumping", I would start laughing. It was just silly and fun.

Bumped is about a world where a virus has made everyone 18 and older infertile. Even when you come of age, you become infertile around the same time. So basically, that means teenagers are the ones having babies. Kids really. Once girls are able to conceive, most start "bumping". Technically, the more babies you have, if you're selling them (I know it sounds awful, but it's not too terrible since there is more demand than supply), the more money you can make so you can go to college and get a good job to adopt your own kids. Girls are really encouraged to have babies, since the human race would become extinct if they didn't. There are "pros" and "amatures". The "pros" already have a contract and a family for their baby to be adopted to. "Amatures" end up having people bid for their babies and mostly "bump" for fun. Then there are the Church people in Goodside who marry young and start their families. Most of the time they are matched with their partner and don't really have a say. So the storyline is amusing to say the least.

The story bounces back and forth between the point of views of Melody and Harmony. Melody is a professional Surrogate and has a really good contract, but is waiting for her partner to be picked. Harmony is a Churchie and is hoping to convert her sister. The two sisters grew up separately, and have attitudes that clash, so we get to see if they can come to a common ground and learn to trust each other. 

There was one thing that bothered me a little, maybe I just don't remember reading it, but the MiNet,  or whatever it was called. The characters were always talking about it. It sounded like it was something in their heads, but I guess I just didn't understand it. It seems that they use contacts and headphones to access it or something. I tried not to let it bother me too much. So other than that one thing, I had a lot of fun reading Bumped

Overall, I would recommend this book to someone with an open mind. Some people might not like it since it is about teens being pregnant, but if you are looking for a laugh, you should read it. I need to read Thumped soon so I can see what happens next!!

4 comments:

  1. Hmm, I've started in this one a while ago, but I don't know. There were a couple of things I didn't like, but I still want to finish it :) Nice review, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I read this one so fast, like in a day. I just have a really bad sense of humour, so maybe that is why I liked it so much..lol
      Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  2. I really liked Bumped. I have Thumped on my kindle now and I have to read it this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to read Thumped now! I'll have to buy it soon :P Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.