Saturday, April 14, 2012

Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent
(Divergent #1)

Author: Veronica Roth

Publication Date: May 3, 2011

Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books

Genre: Dystopia

GoodReads

Synopsis:

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.
Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the literary scene with the first book in the Divergent series--dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.



My Thoughts: I don't even know where to start on this one. This book was amazing! I started reading it and just could not put it down. It's almost 500 pages and I read it in less than 24 hours, which is pretty awesome considering I'm chasing a baby around all day. I am a little sad that it took me so long to get around to reading it, but then I'm not since Insurgent will be out soon! I can't wait now, I finally understand why everyone was raving about it. Veronica Roth is freaking amazing and I can't wait to see what else she comes up with! Seriously, if you were like me and haven't read this book yet, do it! You have to! If you are in anyway, shape or form a fan of dystopians, you HAVE to read this. If you don't know what a dystopian is, this is a great place to start! 

Alright, Divergent revolves around Beatrice (Tris) Prior as she decides which faction she will pick, ultimately picking Dauntless. Now, to be in Dauntless you have to have a lot of courage, something Tris thankfully has a lot of. She has to fight for a good rank during training, literally, she fights the other initiates as part of their training. She is smaller than all of the other initiates and has to do a lot to prove herself. The kicker, they find out AFTER chosing Dauntless that only the top 10 ranks, out of the 20 or so initiates, will become members of Dauntless, the rest will become factionless. Being factionless is not something anyone really wants. 

The story line is really good, there is a lot of action and butt kicking, with a bit of romance thrown in there too. I love the writing style of Roth and how quickly and easily the story seems to flow. It is definitely well written and I came to care deeply for Tris and Four, as well as Christina, Will and Al. There wasn't really any point in the story where I became bored and the book became an extension of my arm for the day that I was reading it. I had a really hard time putting it down! 

Tris is an awesome, kick butt character. She is fairly fearless and loves the acts of bravery that are presented before her. I don't think I have ever read a story where the protagonist changes so much. Tris starts out as a quiet, selfless Abnegation member who always put others first. She knows she doesn't really fit in and is nervous about leaving her family behind if she changes faction. Worried about hurting their feelings. Once in Dauntless, it takes awhile but she transforms into new kick butt personality. She has a lot to prove considering where she comes from, and nobody thinks she can look after herself, except Four. She is definitely a girl to keep an eye on. 

Four, our romantic intrest, is a little bit mysterious. Nobody knows a whole lot about him and he tends to keep to himself. He seems to take a lot of interest in Tris, giving her advice and saving her butt a few times. He starts out as an instructor, but could he become more to Tris? He seems to yell at her and push her harder than the other initiates,  but Tris can't help but have her heart flutter when he touches her.  

Overall, this book is just AMAZING! Seriously! I cannot rave about  it enough. I can't believe it was on my shelf for two months before I picked it up. Insurgent needs to come out now! This is definitely a book to buy to add to your collection and obviously, I'm recommending it! Go out and buy a copy! Read it!

10 comments:

  1. Your review just made me crave INSURGENT even more. It's been a while since I've read DIVERGENT, but I still remember how much I loved it and I can't wait to find out how this story will continue. I'm really glad you enjoyed it so much. Lovely review! :)

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad I read it, but now waiting is going to suck..lol

      Delete
  2. I cannot wait for Insurgent. Isn't it torture?!?! At least you don't have as long to wait...Ek!!!

    Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I know, the only good thing about waiting so long to read it, less wait!!

      Delete
  3. Great review! I loved Divergent and cannot WAIT for Insurgent to come out! Luckily, the weeks are sneaking by very fast, so it should be out soon! Hoorah! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I really loved it, and am now ready for Insurgent!

      Delete
  4. I read this one recently too - and had the same reaction - amazing! I'm excited for the sequel now too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was the exact same way!! I went into this book thinking that it would be just another dystopian book to add to the mix, but it ended up being SO MUCH MORE. (a.k.a. one of my favourite books of 2011!) And you managed to highlight all of the things I love most about it: the story, Tris, and FOUR. (Gosh, do I ever love this boy! <3)

    Amazing review, Jenn! I'm so happy to be able to add you to the mix of people who are now waiting not-so-patiently for our turn to read Insurgent! x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)

      I'm glad Insurgent is less than a month away! I don't think I could wait much longer. I'm soo glad I finally read this book!

      I keep asking people I know who read if they have read it yet, and then telling them they have to..lol

      Delete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.