Friday, April 20, 2012

Review: Purity by Jackson Pearce

Purity

Author: Jackson Pearce

Publication Date: April 24, 2012

Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers


Thank you Hatchett Book Group Canada for the Review Copy

Genre: Contemporary

GoodReads

Synopsis:

A novel about love, loss, and sex -- but not necessarily in that order.

Before her mother died, Shelby promised three things: to listen to her father, to love as much as possible, and to live without restraint. Those Promises become harder to keep when Shelby's father joins the planning committee for the Princess Ball, an annual dance that ends with a ceremonial vow to live pure lives -- in other words, no "bad behavior," no breaking the rules, and definitely no sex.

Torn between Promises One and Three, Shelby makes a decision -- to exploit a loophole and lose her virginity before taking the vow. But somewhere between failed hookup attempts and helping her dad plan the ball, Shelby starts to understand what her mother really meant, what her father really needs, and who really has the right to her purity.



My Thoughts: This was my first time reading a book by Jackson Pearce and I have to say, she has a new fan! I just loved this book! Within the first 50 pages it had made me laugh to tears and cry from sadness. It was a complete roller coaster of emotion, but in a good way! I received more than one odd look from those around me while I was reading, I couldn't help it, some of the events in it are just too funny. I also love the simplicity of the cover for this book, it works great for this one. 

This book is told from a first person point of view and revolves around Shelby Crewes as she tries to live her life by the Promises she made to her mother before she died. She finds out her father wants her participate in the Princess Ball, which he has taken it upon himself to help plan. The Ball ends with a vow to live a pure life.  Basically meaning, no drugs, no under aged drinking, no sex before marriage. Clearly this doesn't fit in with Promise Three, which is to live without restraint. But she can't not go to the Ball because her father wants her to, and Promise One is to listen to her father. Shelby Lives by these rules, so clearly she needs to try and find a loophole so that the vow is void. Which means, she needs to have sex before the Ball, which is just five weeks away!

Shelby, the protagonist, is impossible to dislike. I feel so bad for her because she had to watch her mom die, and then her relationship with her dad isn't very good, it's actually kind of like my relationship with my dad, so it's easy for me to relate with her. But through all this, she seems generally happy. She has two awesome friends, Jonas and Ruby, who are a great support system for her. I really like her as a character because she is somewhat sarcastic and has a little bit of attitude, but it's too funny!

Overall, this is a great coming of age story, completely with many scenes that will make you laugh out loud and then five minutes later, have you in tears. Jackson Pearce is an excellent writer and has beautifully written this book. It's a cute and quick read with just over 200 pages. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did, it really is a great contemporary. Definitely a must read for this summer! 

 

4 comments:

  1. I really need to get an ARC of this book! I've seen some five star reviews and it just makes me want it more! Great review!! :)

    Emily@Emily's Crammed Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I had a lot of fun reading it, it really is a great read! Comes out Tuesday!

      Delete
  2. I love the concept of this book but was a little unsure. I've seen so many good reviews though! I'm glad it's funny too.
    Basically meaning, no drugs, no underaged drinking, no sex before marriage. YIKES! LOL I would never agree to this princesss ball thing. I hope she works it out where she can live for her and not just the promises. They seem to be a lot of pressure for her and I can understand having a difficult father daughter relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wasn't entirely sure what to think going in. I was a little worried that it wasn't going to be what I thought, but it was better, I'm very glad I read it!

      Thankd for visiting :)

      Delete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.