Sunday, April 1, 2012

Review: Torn by Amanda Hocking

Torn

Author: Amanda Hocking

Publication Date: February 28th, 2012

Publisher: St Martin's Griffin

Genre: YA/Romance/Fantasy/Paranormal

GoodReads

Synopsis:

When Wendy Everly first discovers the truth about herself—that she’s a changeling switched at birth—she knows her life will never be the same. Now she’s about to learn that there’s more to the story… She shares a closer connection to her Vittra rivals than she ever imagined—and they’ll stop at nothing to lure her to their side. With the threat of war looming, her only hope of saving the Trylle is to master her magical powers—and marry an equally powerful royal. But that means walking away from Finn, her handsome bodyguard who’s strictly off limits…and Loki, a Vittra prince with whom she shares a growing attraction. Torn between her heart and her people, between love and duty, Wendy must decide her fate. If she makes the wrong choice, she could lose everything, and everybody, she’s ever wanted…in both worlds.


My Thoughts:  Torn picks up pretty much exactly where Switched left off, you can find my review for that here. I like when books do that, you're not left wondering what happened in the time  between. Wendy has run away from the Trylle compound to return home to her brother Matt,  and her aunt. And she brought Matt's real brother, Rhys, with her. And then we are in pretty much the same situation as the first book. Both the Vittra and the Trylle are fighting to bring the princess back to their lands. Each side seems to almost have a good reason for wanting her. What will she do? What side will she pick?

This book is a total character change for almost everyone in the story! It was shocking really. Almost everyone does a complete turn-a-round. In the first book, Finn was my favorite character. In this book, I just barely liked him. He had to make some tough decisions and destroy his own feelings, but I just think he went about it in all the wrong way. I think his actions were selfish and hurtful. In trying to protect Wendy, he only seemed to hurt her more. Wendy grows a lot in this book. In the first book I didn't really like her personality at all. But throughout the course of this book we get to learn quite a bit about Wendy's and the Trylle's and Vittra's history. Wendy is actually pretty deeply rooted in both! The things she discovers come as quite a shock to her, and were just as shocking to me. Through learning all these things, she grows into a more mature, smarter, less self-centered person, and now I like her. She gets to work training in all her abilities, the determination she shows is something I respect. She begins to realize that she really has to step up onto the plate and take the place that is expected of her. She is needed, and she stops thinking of only her own wants and desires. Then there's Loki, who was an enemy in the last book, but this book makes you re-think that. Is he so bad after all? His actions definitely leave you wondering. A connection is created between Loki and Wendy that I like even more than the one she shared with Finn. I find myself really liking Loki and I'm pretty sure he's my new favorite character. He is one of those guys who comes off as cocky and conceded, but you know he's a big old good-hearted softy underneath. I would say he almost reminds me of Will from the Infernal Devices Series. I even began to like Elora in this book. In the previous one, I thought she was heartless, unloving, and cold. But it seems to me she has reasoning for acting this way. Torn is all about learning more about the who and why of the characters involved. And with this new insight, I felt a lot of my opinions changed quite a bit.

Speaking of things discovered  in this book, it was all quite shocking. I was constantly finding myself surprised. What I enjoy most about this book is that something is constantly happening. There is never a dull moment. The chapters always end with this perfect little tease that insists you keep reading. I would keep telling myself, 'OK, after this chapter I'm going to stop for now', but that just could not happen. There was no way I could stop, I absolutely had to see what happened next. I was hooked from beginning to end. There was one little surprise towards the very end that completely stunned me. But I'm excited for this new dynamic and I can't wait to see how it plays out in Ascend! Which I am very excited for! It's due to be released April 24th. I'll definitely be getting a copy :)

I would recommend this book, and the one before it for sure. It's a great story with wonderful character growth and an awesome new twist to a fantasy character we all  know so well. Seeing them in a brand new way is refreshing and intriguing. And I really enjoyed watching the characters we met in the first book experience things the alter them completely. There is also a fun little short story in the back that shows the same event from the story from 3 very different points of view. It was an awesome peek into the minds of characters besides Wendy and I really liked it :).


1 comment:

  1. Huh. I liked Switched, but I didn't think it was amazing. I guess I just barely liked it enough to not hate it. (did that make sense, lol?) I had always planned on reading Torn, simply because I wanted to know what happened to Wendy, and some of the other characters. I'm really interested now! I think I'll go buy the ebook.

    -Ashley
    What's Your Story?

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.