Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Review: Glitch by Heather Anastasiu

Glitch
(Glitch #1)

Author: Heather Anastasiu

Publication Date: August 7th, 2012

Publisher: St. Martin's Press

Genre: Dystopia/Sci Fi

GoodReads

Synopsis:

In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network. When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers. As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse.


My Thoughts: I really wasn't sure what to expect going into Glitch. I'd heard good things and bad things about it, it sounded like something I would enjoy from the synopsis. What I wasn't expecting was that I would love it so much! I picked up this book the other night and sat there and read half of it. Even though I knew I had to go to bed since I worked the next day. I couldn't help it and eventually had to force myself to put it down. I really enjoy the writing style of Heather Anastasiu and am looking forward to reading more from her. This book is fairly past paced and is exciting and nerve wrecking at the same time. I was always worried for Zoe and her friends and that they would get caught.

Basically, this is another dystopia (what else can you really expect from me??) and it  was just a little bit more shocking to me than other ones because people can't even think for themselves. They have been implanted with V-chips, a chip that connects them to the Link network and keeps them completely emotionless. There is no anger, jealousy, sadness. But there is also no happiness or pleasure. People are basically walking drones who go about their assigned duties with no questions asked. Maybe there are other similar dystopias out there, but none that I've read yet. Then, as Zoe discovers, some of the younger generations are glitching,  their bodies have evolved to fight the V-chip, resulting in powers of "gifts". After being exposed to emotions, Zoe has to hide her feelings until she can escape, if she's caught she could be "deactivated" (killed).

I really like Zoel (Zoe) as a character. She's a bit naive, but she's never had emotions before, so it's completely understandable. She never even had choices. So after a taste of what's out there, it's no wonder she doesn't want to give it up. She finds relief inf finding another "glitcher" in Max, one of her schoolmates. She's not alone anymore. Then there is Adrien, the boy who gives her hope that she might be able to escape and help others become free of the link.

So there is a bit of a love triangle, but it kind of works for this book. Since Zoe is so new to emotions, it's pretty easy for her to be manipulated. I like Adrien because he seems more sincere in his feelings for Zoe. He really cares for her, even if she can't remember at first how she felt about him. Max just creeps me out and I had a bad feeling about him the whole time. All he seemed to want was "pleasures", and was extremely jealous and controlling and possessive of Zoe. But he was Zoe's first friend, so she is easily manipulated by him.

All in all, Glitch is an excellent read. It's a really great debut novel and I'm definitely looking forward to more of the story. I loved it, so I'm definitely recommending this one to you!


Thank you Macmillan and Raincoast Books for the review copy!

6 comments:

  1. Man, this one is all over the place, just like it's ratings. I'm so curious to read Glitch just to see where I would fall on the love vs hate spectrum. I tend to like the same books as you though, so I'm thinking I'd probably like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was really great! Iusually like to read books so I can have my own judgement.

      I hope you do enjoy it if you read it!

      Delete
  2. I have heard such mixed things about this one- that I am actually curious to read it because of the different thoughts. Some reviewers have not liked it- and you clearly loved it. I enjoyed your review and look forward to checking out Glitch. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely read it and give it a chance! I love when books surprise you after you hear terrible things about them :)

      I hop you enjoy it if you do give it a chance!

      Delete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.