Thursday, January 3, 2013

Review: Looking for Alaska by John Green

Looking for Alaska

Author: John Green

Publication Date: December 28th, 2006

Publisher: Speak

Genre: YA/Contemporary

GoodReads

Synopsis:

Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter's whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (François Rabelais, poet) even more. Then he heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart. After. Nothing is ever the same.


My Thoughts: This book surprised me emotionally. I went into this completely unprepared for what I was about to experience. I honestly expected another heart torn romance. An unrequited love, a life changing romance. And while it is kind of those things it is also so much more.

This book dares to go there. It dares to take you to the darker places. I feel like it lays so much bare, almost so that you feel exposed. While that may sound confusing, maybe you'll understand once you read it, or if you have read it already. The window we get into these young people's mind is just so clear, so honest and real, and it holds nothing back.

It's  another story about coming of age, about finding real friends, and the real you. We get to go on the journey with a group of teenagers who we might call misfits. They are the branches off the norm, the eccentric. But they boldly accept their titles and wear them with pride. While I felt like they were so much more grown up than I was at their age, I think it comes with what they've experienced and also with being at a boarding school. This made it a little bit harder for me to develop a connection with the characters, but the story was riveting nonetheless.

At the end we are still left with some questions, but the answers seem unattainable as we know from reading the story. It's as if we are suffering along with the characters. In their goal to find the answers no matter what the cost. And again in their acceptance that in the end, not everything is meant to be known and we just have to take what we get and make the best of it.

It's a really great story that I would recommend to just about anyone and it definitely earned it's place among the top 100 YA list.


4 comments:

  1. Great review! I was also unprepared when I read this. I expected the same thing and I was totally blown away by so much in this book. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It definitely does a great job of whacking us with the unexpected. I was heart broken, but I loved it.

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy you liked this one! This is one of my favourite John Green books -- though, I love ALL of his books. I may have to reread this one sometime -- it's been so long since I first read it!

    Great review, Meghan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! This is my second book I've read by him. I really enjoyed both of them. And I'm pretty sure I will be reading a couple more by him in the hear future. His name shows up a bunch of times on a top 100 YA list I am trying to tackle :).

      Delete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.