Thursday, January 17, 2013

Review: Marked by P.C & Kristin Cast

Marked

Author: P.C & Kristin Cast

Publication Date: May 1st, 2007

Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin

Genre: YA/Paranormal/Romance/

GoodReads

Synopsis:

The House of Night series is set in a world very much like our own, except in 16-year-old Zoey Redbird's world, vampyres have always existed. In this first book in the series, Zoey enters the House of Night, a school where, after having undergone the Change, she will train to become an adult vampire -- that is, if she makes it through the Change. Not all of those who are chosen do. It's tough to begin a new life, away from her parents and friends, and on top of that, Zoey finds she is no average fledgling. She has been Marked as special by the vampyre Goddess, Nyx. But she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers. When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite club, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny--with a little help from her new vampyre friends.


My Thoughts: I have to be honest and say that for the first few chapters of this book, I was seriously questioning my choice to read it. I don't really know why, except to say that it just felt so...lame. And maybe that's not a good excuse. But it felt cheesy, and un-serious to me, when I could tell that it was trying to be serious. But I continued on because I did actually buy the books so I gotta give them a decent chance. I can say that things did get better, but I'm still not completely sold on their awesomeness. I've heard lots of good things about this series, and I feel a little sad that I don't enjoy it as much as everyone else seems to.

If I were to describe this book quickly and easily I would say; think Harry Potter and wizard, but change it to vampires. Now don't get all excited on me. I'm in no way comparing their greatness. I am of the full opinion that very very few books surpass the masterpiece that is Harry Potter. But I can definitely see similarities in the story line. Zoey has a poor home life, she unexpectedly becomes marked to be a vampire and she's thrown into a private school for just such people. But Zoey is unique, her mark is special and different and she has been blessed by the goddess Nyx, so all these great and wonderful things are expected of her. For the most part she delivers. She manages to make a small, but good group of friends, of who I will talk more of later. And she develops an enemy almost right away. A , rich, self entitled, controlling snob and her little sidekicks. And she eventually is set on a quest to rid the school of evil and bad influences.  See what I mean? Maybe I'm crazy but it felt familiar to me.

So on Zoey specifically, my feelings about her are complicated. I feel like the fact that the story is written by two people shows through while reading it. At times I felt Zoey to be immature, childish, and sometimes even a little moronic. But other times she seemed strong, willful, and determined. Most of the time I like her, but not a lot. And then other times I'm just thing to myself; seriously?! did you really just think/say/do that? As for her group of friends, I didn't particularly like any of them either. There's Stevie Rae, who seems really nice and super friendly but I just get these weird feelings from her and I feel like she might not stay such a good friend forever. And there's the two girls they call twins, and it's supposed to be hilarious cause one is Jamaican and the other is a Caucasian blond. Most of their parts consist of just finishing each other sentences and making sarcastic comments and they kinda get on my nerves. Then there's Damien, I actually kinda like him. He's smart, and independent and doesn't seem as clueless as the rest of them can seem. The only thing that bugs me, and it's not really about him. It's that he is gay, which is fine!! But the book feels the need to constantly remind you with lewd jokes and references, and I'm just like, yeah I get it, you already reminded me a million times. It just seems overplayed.  The one character I actually really like is the Antagonist, go figure. But to me, she seemed like the strongest, smartest,   most well developed character, even if she's a giant B-word.

Despite not loving the majority of the characters, I did find myself enjoying the plot line. It is definitely unique in it's ideas and creation. That is one thing I always love about Vampire books. You rarely find two that are the same. I praise them for their unique twists on Vampires, and their great, drama filled story line that did keep me turning the pages. If it weren't for the fact that I really liked the ideas, and events involved I can't see me caring much for this series at all. But I don't want it to seem like I am just bashing this book. And I'm sorry if I come off that way. I did enjoy it, it's thrilling, captivating read, with good plot twists and great story  line. If I could just switch out some of the characters I could easily see myself giving this book a 5 star.  I would still recommend this book, because obviously not everyone is going to feel about the characters the way I do. And if you like Vampires then you should probably try this series for an awesome new take on their lore and lives and creation.




2 comments:

  1. I read this one back in '08 and I liked it a lot and I read the second book but then my interest dropped off. I may have to revisit it next year. Great review I'm glad you liked it!
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your sentiment; however I rather enjoyed the series. I love the plot but at times I do get upset with the characters but I like that. I like that I can get mad at them or happy with them, or sad when something bad happens or someone dies. I am one or two books behind though. My aunt didn't like the books at first then she read a few then got bored with them and retired them lol. I keep reading because I'm curious to how it will end.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.