Monday, May 20, 2013

Review: Will Sparrow's Road

Will Sparrow's Road

Author: Karen Cushman

Publication Date: November 1, 2012

Publisher: Clarion Books

Genre: Historical Fiction / Middle Grade

GoodReads

Synopsis:

In his thirteenth year, Will Sparrow, liar and thief, becomes a runaway. On the road, he encounters a series of con artists—a pickpocket, a tooth puller, a pig trainer, a conjurer—and learns that others are more adept than he at lying and thieving. Then he reluctantly joins a traveling troupe of "oddities," including a dwarf and a cat-faced girl, holding himself apart from the "monsters" and resolving to be on guard against further deceptions. At last Will is forced to understand that appearances are misleading and that he has been his own worst deceiver. The rowdy world of market fairs in Elizabethan England is the colorful backdrop for Newbery medalist Cushman's new comic masterpiece.


My Thoughts: So this was an okay read, normally I'm pretty happy with any middle grade books that I read but this one is one that's most likely not going to stick with me. I'm not really sure. The writing was good, the story was good but something was missing for me to give it that push that would make me remember it forever. The story seemed a bit predictable maybe? I can't really put my finger on it.

Like I said though, I did enjoy the story. Will was an amusing kid who managed to survive alone on the road for quite a while in a time where everyone would either chase him away of try to catch him and sell him. Even his own father sold him.

So while this was well written and the story was interesting enough for me to read it, it was still missing something to make it stand out. It wasn't as unique as it could be. I'm sure it would be enjoyed much more by a younger audience, like it's intended for. It is still a good read that I liked though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.