Thursday, May 2, 2013

Review: You Are Mine by Janeal Falor

You Are Mine

Author: Janeal Falor

Expected Publication Date: May 6th

Publisher: Self-Published

Genre: Fantasy/YA

GoodReads

Synopsis:

Serena knows a few simple things. She will always be owned by a warlock. She will never have freedom. She will always do what her warlock wishes, regardless of how inane, frivolous, or cruel it is. And if she doesn’t follow the rules, she will be tarnished. Spelled to be bald, inked, and barren for the rest of her life—worth less than the shadow she casts. Then her ownership is won by a barbarian from another country. With the uncertainty that comes from belonging to a new warlock, Serena questions if being tarnished is really worse than being owned by a barbarian, and tempts fate by breaking the rules. When he looks the other way instead of punishing her, she discovers a new world. The more she ventures into the forbidden, the more she learns of love and a freedom just out of reach. Serena longs for both. But in a society where women are only ever property, hoping for more could be deadly.


My Thoughts: This book took no time at all to sink it's teeth into me. Only a couple pages in and I was already completely intrigued. This is an astounding debut novel for Janeal Falor and  I just know there will be even more greatness in books to come.  I will definitely be in line to read more of her work :).

I found this to be  a very unique take on Warlocks and how they work, and what a world run by them would be like. It was also a spectacular insight to the life of women when we were placed at such an inferior level. With a big helping of fantasy, magic, and fantastical beings, we get a real glimpse at what it was like for women to be owned, controlled, dominated, and labelled for one use only; breeding.

But Serena is not like other women, she is not at all ready to obey. She never really has been. Even growing up in her home with her father she was always the cause of disturbance and receiving uncounted punishments. Even throwing herself in front of her many sisters to protect them. She shows   boundless strength, inspiring determination, and refreshing adversity. She will do what she thinks is right and pay for the consequences if need be. I admired her immediately, and that admiration steadily grew throughout the novel.

Watching Serena take terrifying steps toward changing life for all females was a roller coaster ride of emotions. I was scared, depressed, joyful, and angry with her. I was ready to fight for and with her. And I know if I had of met her in that time and place I would have seen her as someone to follow and believe in.

I would definitely recommend this story to all fantasy lovers, as well as all YA fans. It's a brand new story from a brand new author, filled with refreshing and exciting new ideas. This is one debut novel you don't want to miss because I'm positive the future of writing is bright for Janeal Falor.




2 comments:

  1. YES, this book sounds awesome! I was intrigued, but still not sure if I was going to read it. Now I know for sure I definitely want to! Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad that you liked it and that I swayed you into giving it a chance! I've done my job hehe. :D Thank You!

      Delete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think! Thanks for reading and visiting!
We are now an Award free blog. We love getting them and appreciate that you thought of us, but we really don't have the time to commit for the requirements of getting them.